- Rebuilding the military
- . After years of military cuts and the downsizing of our forces, Congress and the Trump Administration are restoring America’s defense strength. For the first time in 10 years, Congress delivered a budget to the Pentagon on time, giving our military commanders certainty that they will have the resources to protect our national security interests. As a member of the Armed Services Committee, I was successful in getting the “SHIPS Act” passed to help initiate a buildup of our naval fleet. Congress also passed the “VA MISSION Act” to ensure that our veterans receive the benefits they deserve.
- Fighting the opioid epidemic
- . The rampant abuse of opioids is killing Americans and destroying families at an alarming rate. It has become a national crisis deserving of a national response, which Congress provided with a thorough legislative package passed earlier this year. The new law recognizes the complexity of the problem and targets both the international shipping of these drugs into the country and the local tools needed by communities to help victims get the rehabilitation they need.
- Reining in overregulation
- . Congress acted quickly to curb the unnecessary costs and burdens associated with many Obama-era regulations, repealing 16 of them using the “Congressional Review Act.” Congress also acted on a bipartisan basis to exempt community banks from the regulations intended for Wall Street banks after the 2008 financial crisis.
- Transforming the judiciary
- . In keeping with its constitutional duty, the Senate has worked diligently to approve President Trump’s nominees for our nation’s courts. In just this Congress, we have confirmed two Supreme Court justices and 30 judges for our circuit courts. With these lifetime appointments, President Trump and a Republican-led Senate have helped ensure conservative voices are heard in our court system for years to come.
Originally Published on December 25, 2018 at 06:21AM
Article published originally via “opportunity zones” – Google News http://www.djournal.com/opinion/columnists/roger-wicker-lawmakers-deliver-tax-cuts-reverse-military-decline-and/article_713d9555-c75f-577f-bf28-bc846265ffc7.html